Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Book Review: The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey

The book that I chose to read for my English class is called The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey by Trenton Lee Stewart which happens to be the second book of the series. The type of prompt that I decided to write about for this book is the first one. The first prompt is about why the author wrote this book in the first place and what is the purpose of him writing it. In my opinion, one of the main purpose of writing this book is show the importance of friendship between a group of people:
“Constance, Kate, and Sticky were like family to him. It didn't matter that he'd met them only a year ago. Their friendship had formed under extraordinary circumstances.” (Page 2)
This kind of theme is really widespread in many famous books like in “Harry Potter” or in the “Lord of the Rings” and many more... Even though this kind of thing seems really cliché, I think this kind of main idea is essential for an adventure book. Does this mean that I'm saying that all adventure books have to have the main idea of friendship behind it in order for it to be good? No. Personally, I just like the cliché about friends helping one another because it makes me smile whenever I read those kind of books. The value of friendship should be appreciated by all readers because I think friendship is really important and I'm glad that there are still a lot of books out there that have this kind of idea behind it.

Another purpose why the author might have wrote this kind of book is that he wanted to write a book that is interesting and catches readers to enjoy reading something fun and interesting. There are many books that is like this, and I enjoyed every single one of them. One kind of writing style that the author of this book uses to make the book more intense and interesting is the way how he ends one chapter with a foreshadow or a cliffhanger:
“But whether Reynie needed it or not- and though he ad no way of predicting it- danger most certainly awaited him and his friends. And it would not be waiting long.” (Page 16)

4 comments:

  1. After reading post, it sound like you did a pretty good job with writing about the first prompt. You answered why the author might have wrote this kind of book and the purpose of his writing this book. You also did a good job of choosing the right quotes. Something that I think is lacking from this post is your thoughts on the foreshadowing quote you chose in the end. You should include your thoughts about what might this foreshadow mean and what might it foreshadow to readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked how you were direct with the prompt and answered it without going off topic. The CM given also supports entirely what you are saying. However, I think you should give more background information on your book, maybe a brief summary of how they became friends, that would give me a better understanding of your book. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you really answer the prompt and you do not steer off topic. But I do feel you could go into depth about what friendship means according to the book and you can support it with evidence from the text. It would help the person reading your book have a clear and better understanding of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how do not necessesarily talk about the book in your commentary, but yet you are able to stay on topic and stick to the prompt. I agree with you that the idea of friendship is cliche, but it is an important topic t ocver. Of course I would have liked for you to go into more dept into the book itself, but this is good. I think that if you can expand on it you ma be able to use in your essay.

    ReplyDelete