Sunday, January 23, 2011

Wikileaks Debate: Opening Statement

I decided to debate about the topic of whether Wikileaks is overall more harmful or more beneficial to society. For those of you that don't know what Wikileaks is, it is an international non-profit organization that publishes secret materials from unknown news leaks that the government and the media are trying to hide from the general public. As for the side I'm going to debate for, I decided to debate for the side that think Wikileaks is overall more beneficial for society. The main reason why I decided to choose this side is that I'm one of those people that truly believe in the word “truth”. I believe “truth” is really important because “truth” is reality; if we live in a world without truth, we are not truly “living” at all because we would be living in a world of lies.

Wikileaks symbolizes an opportunity; an opportunity to escape from a fake world that our very own government has created. I don't understand why some people have the power to know the truth while the majority is left in the darkness. I thought this country was built upon the idea of that “all men are created equal”; if that is true, why some some people get to the know the truth while others don't? I don't think this is right at all. Everybody should be entitled to know the truth or at least be able to seek the truth without being criticized or hated. From what I assume in history, one of the reason why we decided to create a government in the first place is that we gave our trust to the people that deserved to lead us. We sure have gone a long way from then. Now, instead of respecting the people in the government, we have come to a time of when people are living in fear of knowing the truth. People are afraid that the government will “hunt” them down if they learned something that they shouldn't have or if they have shared the "wrong" information to the public when the information is only reserved for the higher ups. Overall, I admit that Wikileaks is not completely beneficial, but I believe that it is way more beneficial than it is harmful.

No comments:

Post a Comment